Sunday, February 20, 2005

BLACK

BLACK! Till yesterday, that five letter word meant just a colour that had no special significance in my life.

Then, yesterday I saw Sanjay Leela Bhansali's Black. I think it would be very unfair on my part to heap all the credit on a single person, because I think the entire cast and crew have done a stupendous job.

It is very rare that I have such strong feelings for a Hollywood movie, as I have for Black. Black has a beautiful story, intervowen with lovely imagery. The scenes are heart wrenching, but the locales are a bit ostentatious.

All the scenes are protrayed by the cast with such aplomb, and reality that I could not help cry during the movie. The struggle of a little girl who turned blind and deaf at the age of two, and how she overcomes what others call her handicap, to succeed, to fulfill a dream.

Ayesha Kapur plays the young Michelle, locked in her world, unable to use her audio and visual senses. Her rendition of a girl struggling to cope with her own world, not knowing sights and not able to express what she feels, is certianly the highlight of the movie.

Amitabh Bacchan plays Michelle's teacher, who is out to be a magician. He dreams dreams for her, helps her cope with her loses, and teaches her how to live life without them, and be proud of herself as a person. I think his best piece of acting, so far, in his career spanning 3 decades, is when he acts as a alzheimer's desease patient. His potrayal is so life-like, its unbelieveable.

Rani Mukerjee, plays the Michelle out to fulfil hers & her teachers dreams. The dream of not only getting an education, but also of living life with pride. Her speach in the end brought tears to my eyes. Honestly.

Shernaz Patel, played Michelle's mother, and she played the part to perfection. It was her acting that wrenched my heart the most, as a mother struggling to understand what her daughter is going through, and trying to make her live her life.

The movie brought out so many thoughts & emotions in me, I dont think I can continue any more. I dont think any other movie has had such a profound impact on me.

Thank You GOD.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home